FTNH at the MS Level

This past year our middle school ran the FTNH system for the first time.  I asked each of the offensive coordinators a few questions that might help those of you interested in this system.  Here is the interview.  Please let me know if you have more questions for them.  

Coach Kool replied to the following questions:

1. Do you think the no huddle helped you become a better coach? If so how?

I don't know if it made me a better coach, but it sure was fun. I liked it because the kids could regroup more quickly, assembling at the line of scrimmage instead of moving first to a huddle and then to the line.

2. Was the no huddle hard for the kids to pick up? What was the hardest part?

Instituting the no huddle was easy. Each player had a wrist play holder that had our numbering system on it. All they needed to do was look and go. The hardest part was making sure the QB's waited long enough for the line to read their play and decide whom to block.

3. How did you install the system? What took the most time to get working?

We installed the system just as we have all the systems we've used: incrementally. We had wrist play holders almost from the first day of pads. We then taught our progression of plays: dive, zone, sweep, reverse, passing game, etc..... It took a while for the QB's to slow down. I used simple numbers to run the plays. The QB would come to the near hash mark, and I'd tell him a formation and number. He would trot onto the field and call the formation and number. The kids would look at their wrists to determine assignments/routes. We always snapped the ball on one. Occasionally we'd try to get the defense to jump by changing the count.

4. Would you recommend this system of no huddle?

I would recommend it. It gave me time to call plays. We didn't have any delay penalties because I didn't get plays in on time. I don't keep track of statistics, but I'm sure we were able to run more plays. It was easy for kids to grasp.

5. What would you change if you used that system again?

I might try to come up with a way to vary the signal count. Not quite sure how to do that without confusing the kids.

6. What do you think the kids thought of the no huddle? What did they like?

The kids liked it. It was simple and easy to install. It is important that you have a reliable QB who understands the game and has some leadership ability. He doesn't have to be the greatest athlete, but he needs to be football smart.

No comments: